20 A - Growing Your Social Capital

20A - Growing Your Social Capital

The first person I talked to was an executive at a construction company, who focused on their technology and app side of the business.  He was the domain expert I interviewed.  He allowed me to present my idea napkin to him in exchange for feedback on what he believes strengths and weaknesses of the business are.  One strength he liked was that there are not any apps like this on the market today that he knows about.  He appreciated how inventive and creative it was.  One weakness he identified though was that this app will take a lot of marketing and development to take off.

The second expert I networked with was an independent marketing consultant who helps to manage and market a few different apps and websites.  She was the supplier in my market, by providing her services to help market businesses.  She thought the app was very intuitive, but she also believes that adding a few extra features would help it really take off.  One thing she suggested was having a service that would match consumers to a specific brand, and then deliver that brand directly to their home.  This would help consumers save even more time.

The third expert I spoke to was the store manager at a grocery store.  He was an expert on the market, specifically the grocery section of the idea.  I was able to run into him while doing my grocery shopping, and he was more than happy to give me feedback on what I have so far.  He thinks this app would really help the average consumer.  He stated that he gets many questions a day asking which product is best for what. He also stated that this app may help store employees who are unsure of the answers to questions.

This activity forced me to go outside of my comfort zone more than usual.  Usually, I don't go out of my way to network if I am not at a specific networking event.  It was interesting to push myself to do something a little different. 

Comments

  1. Hey Emma,

    I think you did a wonderful job at reaching out and finding people to interview that were able to best fit each category. I agree that this assignment totally pushed me out of my comfort zone, but in the end I was glad it made me do so because it made me feel much more confident and capable in my abilities. Networking is something that we have to get used to and its better to start now than later! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Emma,

    Seems like you had some great experts to talk to, and they gave you some awesome advice. The store manager pointed out something I though was interesting, that the store themselves could potentially use your app to make their employees lives easier. If your current segment doesn't pan out, you could always try to pivot your idea to focus more on marketing towards the industry and sell them this app so their employees can better help customers.I agree that the app could use some more features and versatility. It seems like it requires a lot of work on the side of the user, and that there may be some way to try to automatically match them to the exact product they should buy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment